What is a Mammogram?
A Mammogram is a low dose X‐ray examination of the breast/s. The examination is performed by a Radiographer with skills using specially designed equipment. Mammography plays an important part in early detection of breast cancer because it can show changes in the breast before a patient can feel them.
Please ensure the following steps are followed. They will serve to prepare you for your examination and/or procedure.
- Appointment required for this examination
- The best time is one week following your menstrual period unless the examination is urgent
- If you experience tenderness in the breasts before your menstrual period, do not schedule the exam during this time
- If you have breast implants, please advise staff at the time of booking, as you may be allocated a longer appointment
- Please bring any previous images
- It is recommended that you do not wear any talcum powder, cream or deodorant under your arms or around the breast area on the day of your exam